[Soc-coordination] Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Fri Apr 10 10:32:35 UTC 2009

[Dropping -devel as it is off-topic there.]

Le Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:24:47AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :
> On 10/04/09 at 09:18 +0200, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> > * Debian Autobuilding Infrastructure Rewrite *
> > Student: Philipp Kern, Mentor: Luk Claes
>
> I'm a bit puzzled by this. Philipp has been involved in Debian and a DD
> for years. He is already involved in buildd management.

Hi Lucas,

I was also hesitant on this issue, but I think that we have to consider that
DDs who are students will eventually enter the job market, and as such, the
GSoC is not only an opportunity for them to train writing software but also to
train working full-time on a short term goal, with an evaluation at the end and
the risk of being fired at mid-term. I have no idea what are their plans for
the future, but if the SoC can help them later to have their revenues coming
from free software activities, this would probably be very positive for Debian
as well.

In short, I think that we do not miss the “seeding” spirit of the GSoC by
requesting a slot for this project.

Clearly for students that are more at a beginner level, the expectations would
be very different, but maybe it is this flexibility that makes the GSoC
unique?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy