[Soc-coordination] Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Sun Apr 12 08:18:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:24:47AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 10/04/09 at 09:18 +0200, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
> > * Debian Autobuilding Infrastructure Rewrite *
> > Student: Philipp Kern, Mentor: Luk Claes
>
> I'm a bit puzzled by this. Philipp has been involved in Debian and a DD
> for years. He is already involved in buildd management.
>
> That proposal totally looks like he will get paid to work on things he
> already does in Debian.
>
> I thought that there was no consensus that this is OK.

I thought the same, and the thread which developed from this objection
is kind of a proof of the fact that there is no consensus, IMO.

The fact that in the past there were DDs acting a students is no
excuse, even more so because several of such projects were
unsuccessful in terms of what they brought to Debian. Unfortunately, I
cannot find evidence of the discussion I happen to remember in the
archives of this list.

I don't want to ruin the organization of Obey for this year, at this
point. Nevertheless I think that assigning a project to a student-DD
is an error and I also thought it was clear to everybody before this.
So, better to set up a clear guideline *at least* for next year.

Cheers.

PS nothing against Philipp of course: I deeply respect his work and
   I've always had good time with him when we met. I simply think that
   GSoC is to bringing fresh blood to our project, which badly needs
   so.