[Soc-coordination] Website projects

Diego Escalante Urrelo diegoe at gnome.org
Thu Mar 12 06:54:49 UTC 2009

On 3/12/09, Matt Kraai <kraai at ftbfs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:35:09PM -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
>  > Perhaps a wider update to Debian's website could be more attractive for
>  > SoC, maybe migrate it to Drupal or one of those big projects out there
>  > nowadays. Although I say this with caution since I don't really know the
>  > insides of Debian's web.
>  > Would the web team find interesting a broader migration project? Of
>  > course taking into account migrating the translations and providing
>  > infra for translators to keep working on them.
>

> I think an overhaul of the entire website is beyond the scope of a
>  Summer of Code project, but then again I don't know what the scope of
>  a Summer of Code project is.  :)
>
>  I'm also not sure what the scope of moving to a different CMS would be:
>  the current website has 4349 pages written in the WML, but I don't
>  know how many of these would need to be preserved and how much effort
>  doing so would entail.  I'm also not sure what benefits migrating to
>  another platform would bring.

I could think of some, but depending on one's point of view about what
a website must have, but I was just thinking out loud.
I agree with you that perhaps it's too much for a summer to propose a
broad rework of current Debian's web.

Back to your original idea, I think a project that provides infra for
the services you describe (given how similar they are: a list to be
maintained) could be a better description, do you have specific
functionalities in mind? say consultants being able to update their
own details or something.