[Soc-coordination] Website projects

Gerfried Fuchs rhonda at deb.at
Thu Mar 12 08:48:53 UTC 2009

* Diego Escalante Urrelo <diegoe at gnome.org> [2009-03-12 04:35:09 CET]:
> Perhaps a wider update to Debian's website could be more attractive for
> SoC,

 Things along that area might get tricky because they could get
considered as documentation work - which explicitly isn't wanted in
GSo*Code*.

> maybe migrate it to Drupal or one of those big projects out there
> nowadays. Although I say this with caution since I don't really know the
> insides of Debian's web.

 That's the problem with most suggestions in that direction. I haven't
yet found any CMS that would still allow a quite low-level approach with
respect to translation work and updates as we currently have - and
moving to something else will most propably result in loss of
translators and translation efforts, like can be seen on the switch of
spi-inc.org website away from wml. To be honest, I have no idea what the
language selection menu on the righthand side there is actually expected
to do.

> Would the web team find interesting a broader migration project?

 Sure - if the proposal cover the usual topics that muted all
suggestions in the past: accessibility support, non-graphical-overload
and with that longer loading times, and keeping a convenient
infrastructure for translation work. But then I think this propably will
blast every sensible time and effort frame for a GSoC project.

 But I'm still willing to mentor any such effort, like I offered the
last two years. Some pages in the wiki that cover some bits are:
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianWebsiteDiscussion> - and I like to point
explicitly to the layout proposal of Kalle Soderman:
<http://www.kalleswork.net/projects/debian/>

 So long. :)
Rhonda