[Soc-coordination] Mylyn interface for debbugs, as a GSOC ?

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Fri Mar 13 07:25:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 05:12:49PM +0100, Olivier Berger wrote:
> I must say it may not be the most used backend bugtracker of mylyn, but
> I imagine there will be quite a few Eclipse (and more in the future)
> users doing package maintenance or bug reporting to Debian.

I confess that I don't see much of the point of a Eclipse interface
for debbugs.

In general I surely agree that we can and should add whatever
front-end to debbugs, that's the whole point of DebbugsWebUI which
I've been pushing for in the past years, and which I'm still eager to
see become a reality.

But who are the target users of Mylyn?

- I'm quite sure a ridiculous percentage of DDs/DMs use Eclipse to
  work on their packages, and DDs/DMs are the main users of the
  BTS. At best they can use it to maintain very specific packages and
  developing patches, but surely not for editing debian/* files.

- What about users? No, they surely aren't inside Eclipse when they
  report bugs.

So, what for?

If that can help developing a SOAP rock-solid API with read/write
access to debbugs go ahead, but than it would be better to rename the
project in that respect. That would also enable more carefully
choosing the student according to the needed competences.

Otherwise I would prefer to invest in a more generic front-end for
debbugs, like the Web one, because its target users are much more.

Cheers.