[Soc-coordination] Application period closed, Ranking period open, Next steps

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Mon Apr 12 22:58:18 UTC 2010

Hi students and mentors,

The student application period has now been closed and we've got 40
proposals in for Debian. Yay!

Instructions for students and mentors follow.

* I am a Student
If you are a student, relax and try to enjoy some rest. Keep a look on
your mail. If we need clarifications from you, we'll add it as a
comment to your proposal and a notification should land in your
mailbox. You are also invited to idle on #debian-soc (on
irc.debian.org, but you know that by now, right?).

I will publish a shortlist of proposals that we wish to retain and are
asking Google slots for. This should happen by the end of the week,
around Sunday 18th. More instructions will then follow. Please brush
up your knowledge of Debian, the technical requirements of your
proposal and some thoughts about your motivation. We might call you on
the phone to have a friendly chat to start to get to know each other.
But no pressure! :)

* I am a Mentor
Now is the period when we sit down as civilized people and discuss on
ranking our proposals... Well, we're going to try anyway :)
I will invite you to go start voting on proposals on the webapp at
http://socghop.appspot.com . No. Wait a second. I have a few
instructions first.
- We have made a first pass over all our proposals and triaged out the
ones that we don't believe we can take further and scored them down -1
or lower. You do not need to look at these, although if you do and
feel that I have mistriaged one, please tell me and I'll have a look.
- I talked with all proposing mentors of projects with multiple
applicants and only retained the top student for each proposal, as
agreed by the mentors who have proposed the idea. The others are
downscored to 0.
- Some proposals have been modified since the freeze on the deadline.
Pay close attention to what the comments say below the proposal about
alternate proposals and significant changes.
- As a consequence, the text of the proposal is not the most recent.
Almost all proposals link to a copy on the Debian wiki. Except when
indicated, the version on the Debian wiki is the most recent and
canonical one.

So, what you need to do:
- Show up on #debian-soc and #debian-soc-mentors (ask me, ArthurLiu,
the key). This is were all general private discussions will happen. A
lot of things will quickly happen in the next few days. Sit there and
keep a look at your backlog for anything important.
- Go to http://socghop.appspot.com and look at ALL proposals with a score > 0.
- Vote by personally scoring between 1 and 10 points each proposal
(you might need to comment multiple times)
- It is ok to come back and change your vote, as long as the total of
your points is between 0 and 10.
- Please try to score ALL proposals.

What happens next:
- I will enable scoring NOW.
- At the end of the week, I will freeze the scores, go over proposals,
adjust the scores inversely proportionally to their reviewing
popularity (the number of mentors voting) and come up with a ranking
- As admin, I will break ties (cagefight between competing mentors and
if that is inconclusive, I decide)

Good luck to everyone!

Arthur