[Soc-coordination] let's look for _new_ Debian contributors!

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Mon Mar 15 18:03:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 04:44:38PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I don't think there has been a problem with the admins and mentors
> using their own judgement about how to rank the applications they see
> each year. Please stop flogging this dead horse.

Stop the world. Rinse and repeat :-) I've just had a brief chat with
Steve. Apparently I've managed to not express properly some of my
points, let me just clarify a few of them: they were not clear to Steve,
probably they are not clear to others.

- I care about the general principle and not about specific (past)
  students

- The pointers to past discussions were not necessarily appropriate

- I didn't want to impose the project decision on the GSoC organization,
  the GSoC admins are entitled to decide on the course of action; my
  prod was just to _have_ a position on this

- I've personally raised the issue because I do care about it and
  because I feel like being one of the "Debian GSoC people" (having been
  a mentor since its beginning and an admin for one year)

Now, I'm happy with Obey stance which I interpret as "we will favor new
blood anyhow, but we don't carve in stone the rule that DDs/DMs should
not apply".  As an addition to that, I would just like to have this
stance somewhere on our GSoC page, ideally even just linking Obey's
post.

All in all, the tone was not meant to look like a whine (and surely not
about specific people!), if it did look that way, I apologize.

Cheers.