[Soc-coordination] Debian-installer on Debian GNU/Hurd as a GSoC project

Jérémie Koenig jk at jk.fr.eu.org
Thu Mar 18 23:15:15 UTC 2010

Hello, sorry for the cross-post (I couldn't quite decide...)

I intend to apply as a GSoC student for porting debian-installer to
the Hurd. I've started tinkering with busybox, as suggested on the
ideas pages, and I will try to come up with a reasonably precise
roadmap of the work needed in the coming weeks (I will post again on
debian-boot and/or debian-hurd to request feedback when I do). Unless
I'm mistaken, Samuel Thibault has already done some work and would be
interested in mentoring such a project.

I understand this is a difficult project which involves a lot of
things, however I have used the Hurd and done some debian-installer
work in the past. I find the design of both to be rather elegant and
I'd be delighted to have the opportunity to work on them full-time
this summer.

One question I have is about what organization I should submit my
application to. Both Debian and GNU have been accepted by Google as
mentoring organizations, and I beleive Hurd will participate as a GNU
project, as they did in the previous years. Would it be appropriate to
apply to both? (after all, who am I to deny either of them a chance to
accept my application :-P)

Of course I'd also be interested in any advice you would care to give
me and I would be glad to answer any question you may have.

--
Jérémie Koenig <jk at jk.fr.eu.org>
http://jk.fr.eu.org/