[Soc-coordination] Debian-installer on Debian GNU/Hurd as a GSoC project

Samuel Thibault sthibault at debian.org
Thu Mar 18 23:28:51 UTC 2010

Hello,

Jérémie Koenig, le Fri 19 Mar 2010 00:15:15 +0100, a écrit :
> Hello, sorry for the cross-post (I couldn't quite decide...)

I'd say all were useful :)

> I intend to apply as a GSoC student for porting debian-installer to
> the Hurd.

Cool!

> I've started tinkering with busybox, as suggested on the ideas pages,

Ok, I realize I have forgotten to mention that I have already patched it
to get the .debs/udebs built (very crude patch). Of course, more work
is needed to re-enable the tools that will be needed during d-i.

> and I will try to come up with a reasonably precise roadmap of the
> work needed in the coming weeks

OK, don't hesitate to discuss with me.

> Unless I'm mistaken, Samuel Thibault has already done some work

Yes.  Basically, booting a shell was working with just a few temporary
tweaks (to cope with the not-yet existing ramdisk support).  The next
step was to start the Hurd console and the d-i scripts.

> and would be interested in mentoring such a project.

Yes!

> I understand this is a difficult project which involves a lot of
> things, however I have used the Hurd and done some debian-installer
> work in the past.

Ok, good!

> One question I have is about what organization I should submit my
> application to.

I don't really know.

Don't hesitate to come on both #hurd (freenode) and #debian-hurd (oftc).

Samuel