[Soc-coordination] Proposal: Automatic selection of hardware specific packages

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Mon Mar 29 22:34:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 23:51 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've had this idea in my head for long, but as never found the time to
> work on it, didn't feel appropriate to throw it to the wall and expect
> someone else to implement it. Anyway, it seems to me it might be a nice
> GSoC project, and not necessarily too complex. As I've my plate already
> full, I'm not volunteering myself for mentoring, though. I'm CCing
> deity at l.d.o as they should be in the loop and Petter as he was working
> on integrating package data into discover-data at some point in the past,
> which might be interested in mentoring.
>
> Problem
> ~~~~~~~
>
> I've always found it annoying that it's become very difficult to hunt
> all packages that might be needed for or useful with the current
> hardware on the system, and usually you tend to miss some. It might
> be even trickier for non-technical users who might not even know they
> need specific packages for something to work.
[...]

There are also some hardware-specific drivers and tools that may be
useful to some users but should not be recommended because they depend
on out-of-tree kernel drivers that conflict with the in-tree drivers.
Any solution should avoid conflating 'works with this device' and
'recommended on systems with this device'.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings