[Soc-coordination] DebConf10 related forms for students and mentors

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Wed May 5 20:11:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Bastian Venthur <venthur at debian.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a few questions about the 500USD the aforementioned form for the
> mentors is talking about. The form asks:
>
> "Do you agree with allocating the 500USD from the Organization Stipend
> that Google gives to Debian to sponsoring the accommodation and food
> costs during DebConf10 for Debian students?"
>
> 1. Why are they asking me, I mean if the 500 USD is not for the
>   mentors, but for Debian why bother to ask what to do with it?
They have in the past been used to supplement debconf sponsoring of
gsoc mentors.
Since last year, I've been making an additional effort to get students
to debconf, including more sponsoring.
Last year was special because we had special additional Google
sponsoring, so the 500USD were kept used for mentor sponsoring.
This year, we will probably not getting these additional funds, so I
need to shift these 500USD to students.
Almost all of our mentors would be eligible to DebConf
accomodation/food sponsoring anyway as active DDs. This is not the
case for almost all of the students.

> 2. Who is meant by "Debian students"? Debian's SoC students?
Yes. The 10 students we have this year.

> 3. What happens to the money if the mentor replies with no?
It will be used to sponsor your DebConf costs, instead of using the
general funds.

The rationale behind this is that in the context of the Summer of
Code, it makes more sense to try to get our students to DebConf than
the mentors, which will be going anyway, one way or the other.
Zack and the DebConf orga team are fine with this, as long as you
mentors are, which is why I'm asking you.

Cheers
Arthur