[Soc-coordination] Suggestion for a translation task for Google Code-In

Obey Arthur Liu arthur at milliways.fr
Mon Nov 22 21:14:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Lucian Adrian Grijincu
<lucian.grijincu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Andrei Popescu
> <andreimpopescu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Results: translation files for the Installer Manual
> > Pre-requisites: fluent in Romanian
> > Communication: debian-l10n-romanian, debian-i18n
> > Contact: Andrei Popescu
> > Difficulty: medium
> > Time: 2-3 weeks
>

> I think this is a bit too much.
> Current tasks in GNOME are for 2-4 days.
>

> This is not the amount of time the student has to work, but a
> deadline: you have to show the goods in 2-4 days.
> Debian tasks range from 2 to 7 days.
>

> Another thing to consider is the fact that students get the same
> amount of "pay" regardless of amount of work:
> * one task done => 1 t-shirt
> * three tasks done => 100$
>

> A student can get max 1 t-shirt and 500$. A task of 18 days will
> likely not be picked up.
> I suggest you find some smaller task. For example: complete the first
> 300 strings of translation files for the Installer Manual into
> Romanian and set a tighter schedule (3-4 days) or find another package
> that has a smaller number of strings (in the 200-300+ range) that need
> translating.

The tasks on melange have different and more realistic time estimations.
We're also of course flexible with splitting tasks into subtasks to be
fair with students.
Translating part of the Installer Manual could be a good idea. Maybe
there are some chapters of it that are more important and could be
useful on their own?
Translators will chime in on that one.

Cheers
Arthur