[Soc-coordination] Status of the Taverna/BOINC/Wrapper/GeneticCloning projects

Dominique Belhachemi domibel at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Apr 8 13:55:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Ana Guerrero wrote:

>>> Hi Ana, I would love to co-mentor this important BOINC project. ,
>>> Using Debian to
>>>
>> Ups, something went wrong with my email client. Anyway, using
>> hundreds of distributed Debian machines to perform scientific
>> calculations sounds like a Debian relevant project to me. I will
>> vote for this project during the review period.
>
> Hi Dominique!

Hi Ana,

> Thanks a lot for helping. You were accepted as mentor in melange yesterday
> night so maybe you got a chance to read the students proposals and specially
> the comments to the proposals pointing to problems in the original
> project. Just for the sake of completion, since you quoted 2 project,
> the one you are willing to mentor is:
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/BOINC right?

Right.

> I guess you have read in this list that project proposal is not
> accepted and we have told the students this decision.

You cannot do this. The interim period didn't even start yet.

Please be constructive and ask questions in melange if the project is
unclear to you.

> What you would like to do
> here exactly? The deliverables of the project are not clear and they do
> mostly look as a packaging project. Could you please address what are the
> challenges that the students are supposed to address in this project?

The student has to implement an application which interfaces to
  - the BOINC library
  - a scientic library of his choice.
This is the hard part!!

If this is done he has to create a package to distribute this application
to the BOINC clients.

Personally, I would take his code as an template to interface my
own software/packages to Debian's BOINC packages.

Cheers
Dominique