[Soc-coordination] Mentor Summit

Per Andersson avtobiff at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:41:59 UTC 2012

Hi!

Nice that Debian are represented on the GSoC summit!

The responses in this thread are very modest, along the lines of "I want to
go but there are probably someone more experienced/whatever that fits
better."

I can, and do, feel like this myself also of course. One thing to note though:
What point is there to the summit, and what will we contribute and
learn -- both individually and as an organization -- if we just select by the
ones that are the most experienced?

Even less experienced people need to go these kind of things in order to
represent that part of the movement and to become more experienced
themselves.

I think Asheesh Laroia, who has spoken on DebConf10 and 11, has
valid thoughts on the subject. [0]

[0] http://www.asheesh.org/note/debian/post-shy.html

Godspeed to Sukhbir and Luke. Have fun on the GSoC mentor summit!

Best,
Per

PS. Thank you for the incredible job you are all doing for Debian during
GSoC; admins, mentors, and students!