[Soc-coordination] how project are managed in GoSC?

Rudy Godoy Guillén rudy at stone-head.org
Thu Mar 29 01:18:05 UTC 2012

Hello Olivier,

(jumping into the conversation)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM, olivier sallou
<olivier.sallou at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/3/28 Ana Guerrero <ana at debian.org>
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 05:05:01PM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'd like to know how (Debian) projects are usually managed for GoSC if
>> > accepted ?
>> >

>> Time management? Task management?
>> Please ask more specific questions.
>

> I was more meaning code related (next question).
>>

>> > Should code be hosted in Alioth? and where in this case ? (new project
>> > creation?)>
>>
>> Yes, alioth sounds like a good place.

Indeed. Alioth is good for developing new projects. But you should
look towards integration within Debian's team
infrastructure/repositories.

> But do we usually create specific project in Alioth for this?
>>

>> > Other things to know / to think about?
>> In the case of your project, I am concerned about the hosting issue.
>> We might end with a very good code but not hosting and the student will
>> feel her time was a waste.
>

> As said ealier, I can host it in my academic premises, at least up to a
> certain capacity.
> The Debian live team who propose a cgi script to create live images uses
> servers as well.
> If the solution is a real success, I think we may find funds to support
> higher load.

I'd advice to host the code on alioth and demo it on your premises.
When it's done people can check / get and build the sources from there
and you both should look to put it under a Debian hosted server. For
the demo I guess you could even start using debian.net subdomain so
the "move" would be smooth for your users.

regards

--
Rudy Godoy
http://stone-head.org