[Soc-coordination] GSoC Mentors and Students: information for the student application period

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Tue Apr 23 08:22:40 UTC 2013

On 23/04/13 08:49, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> Fellow GSoC'ers,
>
> The student application period is one of the busiest periods of GSoC. Here are
> some pointers to make the experience bearable!

Thanks for this summary, I put up a blog entry yesterday and emailed it
to all the students who contacted me privately, basically asking them to
do the same things (register on melange, wiki page)

I've also created some trivial wish-list bugs in the Debian bug tracker
so that the students can test the waters, I think this is a useful
approach as the whole interaction can be tracked publicly just like any
other third-party contribution to Debian through the bug tracker.  Are
there any other strategies that are recommended for evaluating students?

Some students have given me feedback that they are overwhelmed with
their final projects for the semester and some had even forgotten GSoC
but were happy to have a reminder email about the 3 May deadline.