[Soc-coordination] GCC internal compiler error (was: Weekly report (8th week) - Debian GNU/Hurd Debianish initialization)

Justus Winter 4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Aug 13 10:36:43 UTC 2013

Quoting Thomas Schwinge (2013-08-13 11:52:25)
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 21:52:16 +0200, 4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> >   In file included from printf-parsewc.c:2:0:
> >   printf-parsemb.c: In function ‘__parse_one_specwc’:
> >   printf-parsemb.c:407:1: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
> >   Please submit a full bug report,
> >   with preprocessed source if appropriate.
> >   See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.7/README.Bugs> for instructions.
> >   The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
> >
> > A similar error came up like five hours into my libc rebuild.
>
> Should you ever find a way to reproduce this, please send me the
> preprocessed source file (»-save-temps«), and any relevant GCC details
> (as written in the README.Bugs file).
>
> Is the input file a particularly big/complex one (also taking into
> consideration any #include directives)?

No, it's probably not gccs fault, it might be a problem with my
virtualization environment or the host system. I've seen seemingly
random failures, like dpkg-query dying with SIGILL.

> > How nice
> > of gcc to retry the build to figure out whether it is to blame or the
> > environment
>
> Huh, I didn't know it was doing that.  (Aha, a 2004 patch by Jakub
> Jelinek that is applied to Debian GCC.)

I hope the sarcasm came across here. While I see the benefit of being
notified that something fishy is going on, I'd have been more happy
with a successful build.

Justus