[Soc-coordination] Status Report of ZFS on Linux Integration, Week 8

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 12:06:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> [Aron Xu]
>> In the past week, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere> helped me on testing
>> what's wrong during debbootstrap with my published ISO image last
>> week, and it appears that partman part is working while the reason is
>> my kvm virtual machine could have something wrong with its network
>> settings, and at the stage of running debbootstrap d-i does not deal
>> with poor network in good way.
>
> Well, I did not do much more than just test the ISO a few times and
> point you to the #debian-boot IRC channel.  :)
>
> I hope you can figure out exactly what your network problem is.  Would
> be great if we could figure out a fix for it to make debian-installer
> more robust too. :)

I tried it myself in a vmware virtual machine, the debootstrap
procedure does works. So there must be something wrong with my kvm
setup because I noticed that connection to NTP server is also failing
during my experimenting. But I haven't got an idea where is the cause
because whenever I try to use busybox shell prompt after configuring
networking in d-i, downloading from public mirrors works.

> Btw, where is your source packages published?  I forgot if you already
> said so.

Not yet, I'll refresh the source packages and build a new image later,
and will include source packages this time.

>> The installation can go forward to installing grub, which does not
>> work at the moment because grub2 in Debian hasn't include zpool
>> v5000 and feature flag patches, which are accepted upstream in
>> mid-July.  Also, I have started working on zfs-auto-snapshot and it
>> appears to be fair easy. I'll try to deal with these two stuff next
>> week.
>
> What is the bug report requesting such support in grub2?

Not yet reported. It was within some semi-private conversations during
the discussions with upstream, and since the commit is now available
upstream I've made them able to be applied to current sid version of
grub2 package, while testing isn't done. As I'm about to send the
weekly report, draft patches will be included in the report.

--
Regards,
Aron Xu