[Soc-coordination] Status Report of ZFS on Linux Integration, Week 9

Aron Xu happyaron.xu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 04:45:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez
<clopez at igalia.com> wrote:
> On 24/08/13 14:22, Aron Xu wrote:
>> To verify what's the problem that I cannot get debootstrap working on
>> my local qemu/kvm virtual machine, I've found an VMware ESXi server
>> and created a virtual machine to test the image. The result is
>> debootstrap is running and I can go forward until grub2 installation
>> failed, which is the same result as Petter get. Networking seems to
>> have problem since early time of the installation progress starts
>> because I found that ntp service isn't working, either. But strange
>> thing is when I switched to another console and in busybox shell
>> downloading from a public mirror just work. I stopped discovering
>> about networking for the moment and continued to deal with grub2.
>
> I wonder if this problem is related to the way you are setting
> networking (routing/NAT) between your virtual machine and the real one.
>
> Is know that the default networking of qemu/kvm (user-mode) don't
> implements any other protocol than TCP and UDP, which means that, for
> example, ping and other ICMP utilities won't work. [1]
>
> I would suggest testing the .iso on a real machine to hunt down where is
> the problem: on the iso itself or on your virtual machine configuration.

Thank you for the information, I never know that before. The ISO image
works in a vmware virtual machine, and I'll test it on a real machine
later.

> For running machines with qemu/kvm I highly recommend you to use
> virt-manager [2]. This wonderful GUI makes a joy running virtual
> machines with kvm/qemu. It also takes care of all the networking details
> as also other advanced configuration options for you.
>
> Protip: If you don't care much if there is data loss on the virtual
> machine, set the disk to use writeback as cache mode on the performance
> options flap inside the disk options of the virtual machine.

Actually I put the hard disk of VM on tmpfs as it does not need a lot
space during testing...

--
Regards,
Aron Xu