[Soc-coordination] Debian android app report

Pavlos onexemailx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 08:04:29 UTC 2013

Hello

This week I:

- Added swype gestures to move accross each fragment for better
usability.
- Added an initial settings screen accessible through a button on the
action bar.
- Integrated zxing library so that i can create and scan qrcodes.
(that's for the common interest finder use
case) For the reading of the qrcode the user will be prompted to
install the BarcodeScanner app and scan using that.
There was the option of copying the zxing android code and using it in
the app without installing anything else but
it's discouraged by it's developers as you can read here [1] and it's
also kind of a dirty solution that can't be
easily maintained. I will also add input textboxes that will be able
to do the same search in the common interest finder
without using qrcodes for users that don't want to install other apps.
- Worked a bit on the apps' theme. I changed the basic app style and
used the official debian colors in it. Further
changes/adjustments will be made when the app it almost finished. You
can see some first screenshots here
https://github.com/uberspot/debiandroid

Everything was tested on android 2.3+ and worked fine.

During the next week I'll try to work on the layer of the app that
will interact with the api.
So I'll:
- Integrate a soap lib in the app (probably ksoap2) to use with the
debian pts and bts soap api until a rest api is created for both*.
- Start to gradually test various functions of the api and make
functions to interact with it.

*For pts it will be created by another summer student this year and
for bts i have already filled a bug report [2]

[1]: http://damianflannery.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/integrate-zxing-barcode-scanner-into-your-android-app-natively-using-eclipse/#comment-159
[2]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=712979

Thanks,
Paul Sarbinowski