[Soc-coordination] Improvements to Debian search - Report 2

Aarsh Shah aarshkshah1992 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 15:35:53 UTC 2013

*Improvements to Debain Search - Report 2

*
Mentor : Olly Betts

*Work I am doing right now:*

   - I learnt an important lesson about software engineering this week."It
   is impossible to predict how much it will take to do something."
   - I realized that I had missed an important part of
   the weighting schemes- dealing with negative weights .
   - I spent the whole week on modifying the code of all the schemes so
   that they never return negative weights.
   - Like an idiot, I wold compile each branch and modify it in turn and a
   lot of time got wasted in minor improvements.
   - And then my mentor taught  me that :It is better to focus on one thing
   at a time.
   - But I did write of code to deal with negative weights and weighting
   schemes will be officially done before sunday."

*Work I will do in the next week:*

   - Design the base class for query expansion.
   - This is the link to all the pull requests containing also the
   additional changes mentioned above :-

   https://github.com/xapian/xapian/pulls

   -Regards
   -Aarsh