[Soc-coordination] Report week 6, Redesign metapackage creation for Debian Blends

Emmanouil Kiagias e.kiagias at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 18:19:26 UTC 2013

Hello,

Note: this Monday I did not work due to travelling.

This week:

* Wrote new scripts: {sec-}blend-gen-control(each script handles
differently the data from UDD ) which generate a single control file (using
format like Depends: pkg1 [!arch1 !arch2 !arch3], pkg2 [!arch1])

It took some time to debug[0] the latter scripts and make them produce the
same output as the existing scripts(which generate multiple
control.<arch>). By testing and comparing now all the results we have all
the problematic cases/missing packages from UDD( package differences
between the scripts for Blend debian-edu ).

Tasksel does not support syntax similar to the control file's, so for the
task-description files we have two choices[1]. One is to keep multiple
taskdesc.<arch> files and select the correct one using rules file. Second
is to have a somekind of tasksel template file and easily convert it to a
taskdesc.<arch> .

* Wrote a test_taskdesc script which converts the taskdesc template to a
 taskdesc.<arch>, for each available architecture, and compares each file
with the corresponding taskdesc.<arch> files generated from the previous
scripts. The latter generally needs more testing to make sure it generates
valid files.

Next week:

More time than excepted was spent into the alternative way of creating
control and taskdesc files so this goal is from the previous week:

* Really create arch dependant metapackages. Bring the source package we
created using the blends tools to a status where we can say : "debuild" on
a certain arch and metapackages are ready.

* Test/debug code to decide which way to go(this will probably continue and
after the next week )

Kind regards

Emmanouil

[0]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/2013/07/msg00048.html,