[Soc-coordination] 2014 announcement from Google

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Tue Oct 8 21:13:19 UTC 2013

Google's announcement about 2014 is very interesting, it appears they
are starting much earlier than this year.

The calendar suggests they will only confirm organisations around
March/April though

In my experience, we had the most intense interest from students after
Debian was confirmed as an organisation.  It could be one of two things:

a) the students are discovering Debian when they see us in a list on
Google's web site

b) the students are not certain about investing time/effort with
organisations before the organisations have some official involvement

What do other people think?  Is the Google announcement sufficient for
Debian to start engaging with potential mentors and students and
encouraging them to make very basic steps to research project areas?