[Soc-coordination] 2014 announcement from Google

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at debian.org
Tue Oct 8 21:17:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 11:13:19PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Google's announcement about 2014 is very interesting, it appears they
> are starting much earlier than this year.
>
> The calendar suggests they will only confirm organisations around
> March/April though

Aye. We can only apply in Feb+

> In my experience, we had the most intense interest from students after
> Debian was confirmed as an organisation.  It could be one of two things:
>
> a) the students are discovering Debian when they see us in a list on
> Google's web site
>
> b) the students are not certain about investing time/effort with
> organisations before the organisations have some official involvement

Aye.

> What do other people think?

I think it's good!

> Is the Google announcement sufficient for
> Debian to start engaging with potential mentors and students and
> encouraging them to make very basic steps to research project areas?

Yeah, I think talking with *mentors* should be fine. We musn't engage
with students with the impression we are a GSoC 14 org only until (and
if) we get accepted.

Cheers,

 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag at debian.org>
: :'  : Proud Debian Developer
`. `'`  4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87
 `-     http://people.debian.org/~paultag