[Soc-coordination] Improvements to Debian search - Final report and summary

Aarsh Shah aarshkshah1992 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 12:56:38 UTC 2013

                                *Improvements to Debian Search - Final
Report and Summary
*
Mentors : Olly Betts and Dan Colish

   - I am happy to tell you that I have successfully implemented two
   expansion schemes along with tests and documentation and have  worked on
   the code reviews a lot and it is now ready to be merged.
   - So, the work I did in GSOC includes :
   - DFR weighting schemes in Xapian
   - Writing of tests and documentation for the schemes.
   - Implementing a new mechanism and base class for query expansion.
   - Writing omega code for all the new weighting schemes
   - Implementing two query expansion schemes in Xapian.
   - Writing tests and documentation for the entire documentation mechanism.
   - Working on the code reviews a lot.
   - Have got all DFR schemes merged.
   - The query expansion mechanism is ready to be merged.
   - My mentor and I will start testing and deploying the new schemes on
   Debian now.
   - Very soon, the new debian search will be up and running. :)
   - Implemented omega code for the entire new query expansion mechanism.

This has been a great experience for me and the education of a lifetime. I
sincerely thank my mentors and admins and assure you that both Xapian and
Debian have found a long term contributor. I have been with Xapian and open
soucre for nine months now and it has been a very rewarding journey.

-Regards
-Aarsh