[Soc-coordination] Final report, extending oath-toolkit and dynalogin to provide CROTP/OCRA

Fabian Grünbichler fabian.gruenbichler at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 23 20:26:49 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I just realized I forgot sending last weeks report.. Shame on me :-/

Anyway, I spent the last two weeks of the official GSoC schedule
polishing the oath-toolkit codebase together with Simon Josefsson (the
upstream author and one of my co-mentors). We tried to figure out the
more obscure details of the OCRA RFC, Simon ended up filing two errata,
but there are still some open questions which hinder release in the
current form.

Besides improvements to the existing code we also tried to devise a
stable API for liboath, a process which is not yet finished.

I took a (working) snapshot of both oath-toolkit and dynalogin last
Monday, which I will submit to Google as code examples (with
accompanying README files to explain which parts of it I authored, where
to find the newest versions, etc).

I will continue working with Simon and Daniel Pocock (dynalogin's main
author) to get versions of both supporting OCRA released.

Since this is my last official report for this GSoC, I want to thank all
of the people involved for the great experience. I am looking forward to
getting more involved in the Debian project as a whole, getting such a
convenient view of (some of) its inner workings was a good way to
motivate myself to finally do so, especially because the scope, size and
history of Debian can be quite intimidating for someone not (yet)
actively involved in the community.

I am very sure some of you will hear from me during the next couple of
months (even if it is just because I will probably ask a lot of
questions on -devel or IRC about the arcane magic involved in building
more complicated debian packages and other newbie stuff ;)).

Also, DebConf13 was a blast, I sincerely hope Germany will win the bid
for '15 - that would probably be more realistic than me attending next
year's conference in Portland.

See you around,
Fabian