[Soc-coordination] debmetrics week 11 status update

Joseph Bisch joseph.bisch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 01:00:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

This week:
- Display common portions when graphing multiple metrics (I mean if
one metric ranges from 2014-05-01 to 2014-07-01 and the other starts
on 2014-06-01 the graph will display from 2014-06-01 to 2014-07-01 so
that the metrics can be compared easier.)
- Add display_fields to manifest (To have a different display name
from what is in db)
- Add popcon_per_arch metric
- Update pull scripts for python3
- Make table columns deletable (in dynamic interface)
- Various small python changes from Piotr

Next week:
- Include non-ascii stuff to see if there are encoding errors
- Add a "show table" button and only render the table when the button is clicked
- Add missing graphs to static pages
- Options block has bigger typeface than everything else. Fix that to
make it the same as everything else.
- Introductory/help text displayed before the first metric is loaded
(for dynamic interface).

Left over from this week:
- Fix error with releases_count metric
- Add a custom graph for releases_count (depends on above task being done first)
- Fix error with interaction between dragtable and stickyheaders
- Add multiple metrics to table
- Add pagination to table

The talk with Stuart:
This week I had a talk with Stuart over irc to review my progress. I
have included suggestions from Stuart above in my tasks for next week.
In addition, he says that he would avoid showing more than one metric
in the table. There is no nice way of showing multiple metrics in the
table. So when the button is clicked the table will render with the
data from just the metric that is currently selected in the dropdown.

We talked about packaging a little and agree that at this time
packaging is not a high priority. There is more work to be done on
debmetrics itself before packaging.

Stuart said my mentors and I should all have a conversation about AGPL
compliance.
Stuart thinks that I need to have a .tar.gz instead of just a link to
vcs. The .tar.gz should be the exact version running on metrics.d.n,
not the version in the vcs.

We talked a little about adding pagination to the table. It should fix
the issue with the table being unwieldy and also fix the interaction
between dragtable and stickyheaders, because stickyheaders would no
longer be necessary. I should be able to use a plugin/library for
adding pagination to make it easier. A quick Google search turns up
some specifically for adding pagination to tables.

Other:
I still need to track down the issues with the tests with zack over irc.

Also, unrelated to debmetrics, I've been working some more on that
package (armory) that I was working on. I mostly have been working
with upstream getting the code ready to package, since upstream wants
me to package an unpatched version. Soon it should be ready to package
and then someone from the bitcoin packaging team will look it over.

Joseph