[Soc-coordination] week 11

Juliana Louback juliana.m.louback at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 20:53:14 UTC 2014

Status report - WebRTC portal for the Debian community

Week 11

I continued the work on the xTuple-JSCommunicator integration.

I had to modify part of the SIP account extension implementation as it
previously would overwrite some of xTuple's code and could result in the
loss of data and functionality. This extension brought to light some
necessary modifications to the core code to allow the development of
extensions that could me merged with existing business objects without
modifying the core code directly. This new MO is documented in my blog as I
updated the tutorial post:
http://julianalouback.com/tech/2014/07/25/extending-an-xtuple-business-object/

After this I moved on to creating a JSCommunicator extension. I did this by
developing an xTuple compatible npm package that could be installed onto
the xTuple web application. What was interesting is that this proved just
how modular JSCommunicator is. Most of the work was just developing the
enyo that would adhere to xTuple norms and would fit into the xTuple
workspace. On the JSCommunicator side, very little modifications were
needed. JSCommunicator suggests importing the html using SSI, but this
wouldn't work with xTuple as it would require core code modification. But
as the html is already set up, I simply set it as the source of an iframe
in the xtuple-jscommunicator extension. The code for the extension can be
found here: https://github.com/JLouback/xtuple-jscommunicator and the npm
package is named xtuple-jscommunicator.

The xtuple-jscommunicator package is working and installs with success on
xTuple v. 4.6.*. However there is still work to be done. I still need to
merge the series of different features and components I've been developing
for JSCommunicator into an official version. Currently the npm package has
the master version + my recently created IM function.

Also, the xtuple-jscommunicator package includes a config file that
currently directs the call/im traffic to a test server I have access to.
This of course, needs to be changed so that it's set up in accordance to
the xTuple server config. I will also be looking into automating a repro
install in the xTuple server.