[Soc-coordination] Status Report for Packaging elementary Software, Week 12

Shnatsel . shnatsel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 19:35:16 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

This is the last GSoC status report on packaging elementary software for
Debian.

I've planned to complete most of the work before the suggested "pens down"
date a week ago, so I didn't have much left to do this week.

I've wrapped up the packaging for Pantheon Files, the last remaining
package with a stable release. Tracking down copyrights was tedious and
overall it's a complicated project; I'm glad I've sorted out RPATH and got
all the required fixes upstream last week, so it was mostly documentation.
The package is now available at mentors.debian.org

I've also added hardening flags to the package, since there were no issues
with it upstream. Now staging in upstream daily builds is
-fstack-protector-all )-fstack-protector-strong is not yet available there)
to see if it introduces any performance penalty.

Also I've investigated building Wingpanel on Debian, which is out of scope
of the project due to its ties to Ayatana indicators. The build depedencies
are apparently met by the Debian archive, but the build errors out because
an -ng header file isn't found; this means either that either Debian has an
old version of Ayatana packages or that Wingpanel's build system is not
portable enough. I'll investigate this further if time permits.

I've also investigated deploying Address Sanitizer upstream in a separate
daily builds repository and I have a pretty good idea on how to do that,
including crash submission and retracing via Apport. I'll try it as soon as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad-buildd/+bug/1350430 gets fixed.

Cheers,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff