[Soc-coordination] conflict of interest

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Mon Feb 24 20:43:56 UTC 2014

This year, I offered to mentor some possible projects for Debian.  I
also volunteered as an admin for the Ganglia organisation to participate
in GSoC.

We've just been notified that Ganglia has been selected.  Ganglia is not
as big as Debian so this was never certain but the Ganglia community is
very pleased and I obviously need to make some effort to emulate the
hard work that Debian GSoC admins put in year after year.  However, it
should also be obvious that this creates a conflict of interest
situation so I just want to make sure that is out in the open.

Having participated in Debian selections for GSoC and OPW in 2013 I have
come into contact with quite a few students, some of them keen to apply
for GSoC 2014.  I will be making sure that they know about both the
Debian and Ganglia projects and I will be encouraging them to apply for
all those projects where they are suitable and motivated.  For those
students who have provided code contributions, I'm also happy to provide
feedback to other mentors who they apply to.

Depending upon the enthusiasm of co-mentors, my projects on the Debian
GSoC wiki may still be able to go ahead so I intend to leave them there
for now.  I will discuss privately with the Debian admins when the
student applications open.  If anybody is interested in co-mentoring
those projects, please contact me privately.