[Soc-coordination] Status Report for Packaging elementary Software, Week 9

Shnatsel . shnatsel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 21:34:09 UTC 2014

Status Report for Packaging elementary Software, Week 9

Due to the (ongoing) absence of upstream stable releases I'm continuing to
make preliminary packaging based on bzr snapshots.

I have created preliminary packaging for Gala, the window manager, which
can be found at:
https://code.launchpad.net/~pantheon-debian/pantheon-debian/gala

Unfortunately I cannot finalize it yet because upstream expects an ABI
break prior to release and perhaps exposing the private shared library as
public afterwards. It also build-depends on libplank-dev package provided
by plank source package that I've uploaded earlier and that's yet to pass
the NEW queue, so getting Gala into the repos may take a while.

I have also created preliminary packaging for Pantheon Files, the file
manager. An upstream release is imminent, but I'm negotiating some
last-minute changes to the plugin API and an update of CMake modules used
upstream. It also depends on a package that I've uploaded earlier and that
has not yet left the NEW queue - libunity.

Speaking of libunity, turns out that the latest stable release uses a
deprecated series of libgee, 1.0, while all elementary applications use the
newer (sic!) 0.8 series. The two cannot be combined in one binary without
major hacks, so I have prepared a Debian-level patch to convert it to gee
0.8. See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=755054 for more
information.

As for the elementary icon theme mentioned in the previous report, I got
involved upstream, as per usual for tricky projects. I took a long, hard
look at it and identified a number of issues, namely:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343208
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343213
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343223
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343240
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343246
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343252
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343287
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1343680
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/1345103
https://bugs.launchpad.net/elementaryicons/+bug/500408
I have proceeded to fix 5 of these issues, contributing an entirely new
icon in 6 sizes in 3 cases. See individual bug reports and linked merge
requests for more info.

Regards,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff