[Soc-coordination] Status Report for Bootstrappable Debian, Week 3

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Jun 9 22:52:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

Week 3 of my GSoC project was mostly lost due to the fact that my laptop
was stolen on Monday.  After that it took me several days to get a new
laptop and set up a proper development environment on it.

Due to that my progress was very limited, mostly related to Andreas
Metzler's suggestion in #749854 to simplify the modifications for some
packages: if the dependency loop for a certain source package arises
from dependencies used only for generating architecture-independent
packages, e.g. documentation, then the problematic build dependencies
may be moved from the Build-Depends to the Build-Depends-Indep field in
the source control stanza.  This will effectively drop them for the
bootstrap build, since it (just like a normal Debian buildd run) is only
done for architecture-dependent packages; any arch:all build
dependencies may be obtained directly from the Debian archive, since
they will be present there because of an earlier build for another
architecture.

So what happened this week was:
- Andreas Metzler handled libtasn1-6 in #749854 in this way and uploaded
  the resulting package to the experimental suite; there he included my
  proposed split of the documentation into a new libtasn1-6-doc package,
  so that it may actually be made arch:all and only built if necessary.
- I proposed the same solution for the already-filed #749989 against
  src:libraw1394
- I tried to do the same for src:flex (would have been a follow-up to
  the already-filed #749344), but I stumbled against a FTBFS in unstable
  that I'm still investigating

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org p.penchev at storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13