[Soc-coordination] Status Report for Packaging elementary Software, Week 4

Shnatsel . shnatsel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 20:04:31 UTC 2014

Status Report for Packaging elementary Software, Week 4

This week was relatively uneventful since I've finally ran out of things I
could package without external or upstream blockers. I have fixed the
remaining issues with Maya package from last week and it is now in the NEW
queue.

Other than that, I have looked into packaging the elementary music player,
codenamed "Noise", but it fails to build on Debian. The issue looks like a
bug either in the Noise build system or in Debian's libsqlheavy-dev
package, I'm investigating it with upstream Noise developers now (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/noise/+bug/1330113).

This concludes the list of elementary software with stable releases in the
current ("Isis") series for now. While I'm waiting for more stuff to be
released as stable I've investigated packaging libunity, which provides the
Launcher API that superseded DockManager API and is thus required by some
elementary applications to interact with the dock. Ubuntu provides
packaging for it that can be reused pretty much as is; however, the latest
release used in Ubuntu (7.x series) depends on libdee version from December
2013 which is still not available in Debian. I've emailed "dee" source
package maintainer for more info on the situation but I'm yet to receive a
reply.

I intend to wrap up all of this next week. I'm traveling Jun 18-24 and I'm
not sure I'll have Internet access at all times, so the next weekly report
might be a little belated. This should not affect my packaging work though.

Regards,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff