[Soc-coordination] [GSoC 2014] Improve Debian port on mips/mipsel: Progress report

Plamen Aleksandrov plamen at aomeda.com
Fri Jun 27 13:11:53 UTC 2014

This week I looked at several packages. Some of them were fixed right before I uploaded a patch (u1db, pcp).

I tested the compilation of the package lhasa and it worked on my MIPS system without any changes:
I suggested that a new build be scheduled.

I was looking at the package htslib for which there was a patch provided. I found that even with this patch there may still be problems. I modified the patch and uploaded it:

----

I found several more packages that will not be able to compile on MIPS:

--

ercona-xtradb-cluster-galera-2.x
	Does not compile on 64-bit MIPS* because of unmet expectations about type sizes.

	galerautils/src/gu_rand.c:

	/*! Structure to hold entropy data.
	 *  Should be at least 20 bytes on 32-bit systems and 28 bytes on 64-bit */
	struct gu_rse
	{
		long long   time;
		const void* heap_ptr;
		const void* stack_ptr;
		long        pid;
	};

	sizeof(long long) == 8
	sizeof(const void*) == 4
	sizeof(long) == 4
	sizeof(struct gu_rse) == 24
		The struct is 20B of data and 4B for alignment.

	This struct is later used as an array of bytes and on 64-bit systems is expected to be at least 28B long. Only the first 20B are initialized which causes the issued errors. The struct is supposed to contain a lot of entropy (it uses ASLR, pid and time as entropy sources). There is no simple way to generate more entropy so this package can not compile on MIPS.

--

xhprof
	Does not compile on MIPS* because it uses x86-specific CPU instructions.

	for example:
		asm volatile("rdtsc" : "=a" (__a), "=d" (__d));

	This package can only work on x86 and x86_64 systems.

----

Plamen