[Soc-coordination] week 6

Juliana Leal juliana.m.louback at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 00:24:35 UTC 2014

Status report - WebRTC portal for the Debian community

Week 6

This week was mainly dedicated to research/planning on the implementation
of the IM component of jscommunicator. There was some work left from last
week on the last two issues, that of instance id support and added detail
to error messages. The implementation for the instance id is already
defined but I haven't yet decided how to go about the error messages as the
less informative messages are from the JsSIP code (not jscommunicator), I'm
not sure I can change that directly. Also this could complicate the
internationalization support. I'm still deciding what's  the best way to go
about this.

The new code contributed this week was mainly with regard to organizing the
UI and adding interface components for the IM service.

I had been reading up on XMPP and developed some demos for a pure JS/JQuery
based client, but at my mentor's suggestion we'll opt for SIP SIMPLE
messaging as this will be easier to implement with JsSIP.

During the last part of the week I was looking into the xTuple web
architecture. xTuple is launching a web-based version of their ERP suite
and Daniel (my mentor) suggested we deploy the JSCommunicator to the web
users. This would entail developing a business object (extension) to
xTuple. There is still some research left to do, but from what I've seen
it's a very feasible idea. xTuple provides great resources to support
contributors, so I'm pretty excited about the idea. I plan to be working on
this next week, though I will give priority to the implementation of the IM
component.