[Soc-coordination] Fwd: GSoC mentorship for packaging elementary software

Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff sergey at elementaryos.org
Tue Mar 4 15:42:52 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I'd like to make Pantheon (the DE from elementary project,
http://elementaryos.org) available in Debian. I'm the guy responsible for
most of PPA packaging in elementary, so I know the software in question and
have experience packaging and integrating it.

It's been suggested as a GSoC project this year:
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/ProjectProposals/PackageElementarySoftware
I'd very much like to undertake it, but I cannot find a mentor for the
project.

To clarify, the expected work for me here is bringing the existing
packaging up to Debian standards as well as adapting the packaging and
possibly the software to a less tightly integrated environment than
elementary OS. I have extensive connections in the upstream project so
fixing the code should not be an issue, although I don't expect much work
on code itself because it's already quite modular.

Despite extensive experience with Debian/Ubuntu packaging I'm not familiar
with Debian procedures and conventions, so I'll probably have a lot of
ground to cover there as well. I'd be willing to maintain the software in
Debian repositories after the fact, as I already did in elementary itself.

Where could I find anybody interested in mentoring this kind of project?
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff