[Soc-coordination] Interested in working for AppStream/DEP-11 for the Debian Archive

Matthias Klumpp mak at debian.org
Sat Mar 8 17:46:49 UTC 2014

Hello!
Sorry for the delayed reply... (I reply on-list now, in case someone
else is interested in the information as well)

<abhishek.bhattacharjee11 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> I am from Pune, India, I think I can contribute to this project( mentioned
> in the subject). I have been using Debian now for almost 4 years and am keen
> on contributing to Debian.
That is great! :-)

> Could someone suggest the preliminary steps I should take to understand the
> project better or any issues(or bugs) that I can look into ?
> This is the link to my github account https://github.com/abhi11

If you want to get started with doing something, something you could
do, which would be very helpful if you are doing the project later, is
setting up dak[0], the Debian Archive Kit and take a look at the old
AppInstall data code[1].

In any case, it is a good idea to catch me on IRC to ask questions. I
am usually online in the afternoon (5pm, GMT+1) during weekdays. On
weekends, you might find me there the whole day or not at all ;-) My
nick is ximion, look at #debian-devel / #debian-soc on OFTC or
#PackageKit / #freedesktop on Freenode.

To get some more information about the project, I strongly recommend
reading the DEP-11 proposal[2]. Please keep in mind that many parts of
it are outdated, for example we use YAML instead of RFC822-style
textfiles now to store the data. There is an example of a resulting
Components.yml file there, which might be helpful.
It is also a good idea to take a look at the AppStream[3] project and
the AppData[4] spec and familiarize with what it does and how.
In order to complete this project, good Python skills and
SQL/SQLAlchemy knowledge are very helpful.
For AppStream, you also might find the slides of my FOSDEM talk interesting[5].

Have a nice day!
    Matthias

[0]: https://ftp-master.debian.org/#dak
[1]: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/app-install-data.git;a=tree;f=tools;hb=HEAD