[Soc-coordination] [Mentors and Students] A primer on the how the GSoC Student application period works

Leandro Doctors ldoctors at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 11:48:13 UTC 2014

> Sorry for the long-winded mail but there's a lot of stuff to say about student
> applications :)

Hi, Nicolas.

Thanks a lot for writing all this. It is really useful.
Just a small observation:

> The way we do student applications in Debian is that the students put their
> application on our wiki (instructions and list on [3]), and use google-melange
> only to link to that application. No need to copy-paste the whole page, just
> have them put a link. That way we keep everything in a central place that is
> easy to work with for us.

On the other side, the official FAQ on Google Melange [0] says:

++++++
11. Should students send proposals directly to the mentoring organizations?

No, all proposals should be submitted to the mentoring organization
using the 2014 program site. Proposals submitted outside of the 2014
program site will not be considered for Google Summer of Code.
++++++

Does this mean that by April 21st, we applicants should actually *add
into melange* the actual (final, polished) application text from the
Debian wiki?

Leandro

[0]:  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2014/help_page