[Soc-coordination] [Mentors and Students] A primer on the how the GSoC Student application period works

Nicolas Dandrimont olasd at debian.org
Wed Mar 12 12:06:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

* Leandro Doctors <ldoctors at gmail.com> [2014-03-12 12:48:13 +0100]:

> > The way we do student applications in Debian is that the students put their
> > application on our wiki (instructions and list on [3]), and use google-melange
> > only to link to that application. No need to copy-paste the whole page, just
> > have them put a link. That way we keep everything in a central place that is
> > easy to work with for us.
>

> On the other side, the official FAQ on Google Melange [0] says:
>
> ++++++
> 11. Should students send proposals directly to the mentoring organizations?
>
> No, all proposals should be submitted to the mentoring organization
> using the 2014 program site. Proposals submitted outside of the 2014
> program site will not be considered for Google Summer of Code.
> ++++++
>

> Does this mean that by April 21st, we applicants should actually *add
> into melange* the actual (final, polished) application text from the
> Debian wiki?

No, it means that only applications that have been somehow recorded in melange
will be taken into account by Google. The FAQ entry has been carried over from
last year, so the way we do things just keeps working.

So, to make it clearer, we want the full applications on the Debian wiki, and
students have to record their application on Melange to be considered. They can
just put a URL to the wiki on their melange application page.

Cheers,
--
Nicolas Dandrimont

Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux