[Soc-coordination] Project Idea fot GSoC

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Mon Mar 17 13:52:29 UTC 2014

Hi José,

Thanks for your email about this

The most critical thing for you now is to find a mentor - if the Debian
GSoC admins agree, the mentor could be somebody employed in your
campus.  Every project proposed to Google needs to have both a mentor
and a student.

On the problem and solution you describe:

- one of my projects is remotely similar but not really the same thing
(recursively building Java dependencies from source)

- I've heard of big corporations using Ganglia (it is open source) as
part of a strategy to find spare CPU cycles where they could run HPC
tasks and also to measure the impact of those tasks on the machines
concerned.  You may be able to use Ganglia in a similar way to support
your distributed builds.  E.g. you could create a "logged_in_users"
metric and when it goes down to 0, you use the person's machine.

- there is some interest in automated rebuilds of full dependency
hierarchies every time a dependency changes.  The existing buildd
servers may not be able to cope with that extra workload and a
distributed solution may be helpful.

- there are issues of trust when building official packages for the
official Debian catalog - building on shared machines increases risk.
Then again, given that DDs are trusted to build packages on their local
machines, maybe spare clock cycles volunteered by DDs could also be
trusted for rebuilds of official packages.

These are all good topics for discussion on debian-devel too - you may
also find a mentor there

Regards,

Daniel