[Soc-coordination] Project Idea fot GSoC

José Luis Sanroma Tato josel.sanromatato at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:29:22 UTC 2014

Hello,

My name is José Luis Sanroma Tato and I am finishing my MSc in computer
Engineering. I heard about the Google Summer of Code the last week.

I don't know if it is possible to propose a project and this is the reason
I am writing to this mailing list.

Currently I am working on my Master thesis that I expect to present in
June, and I think that maybe is a good starting point to develop a bigger
project because there will be still problems to solve (adding
architectures, issues with repositories,...).

I am working on a highly scalable and opportunistic architecture to build
Debian packages for different architectures automatically taking care of
the dependencies, this project also takes part of the VIII Free Software
University Competition in Spain[1].

At first appearance it looks like "buildd" but it's different because it
covers different needs.

I am part of the ARCO research group[2] where we use Debian and we have our
own debian repository[3] where we build and serve our debian packages. We
use the computer of the workers to build the packages. The problems that we
have are:

   -

   We don't have a dedicated infrastructure to build software.
   -

   Furthermore, we don't know when a computer will be available to build
   the packages due to the employees schedule.
   -

   We have some special needs, for instance, we usually work with the Zeroc
   Ice middleware, which version 3.5[4] is not part of the debian "stable"
   distribution and we need to build it for "stable".

 My project tries to solves all these points by setting up a distributed
system in which each node is compound by computers with some virtual
machines as isolated and updated environments. This isolated environments
are used to build, sign and upload the packages to the repository. I can go
more into details if you want.

 There will be some work to do, solving problems with repositories, also
adding more architectures (right now only amd64 and i386 are supported)...

I am not even a debian maintainer so I don't know if this project could be
useful in Debian somehow or if someone would be interested in mentoring
something like this to set new objectives.

Regards,
José Luis Sanroma

 [1] http://www.concursosoftwarelibre.org/1314/proyectos/19

[2] https://arco.esi.uclm.es/en