[Soc-coordination] debmetrics Weekly Report for Week 2

Joseph Bisch joseph.bisch at gmail.com
Sat May 31 00:37:05 UTC 2014

Hello,

This week I started by setting up an email notification hook to email
myself and my mentors each time I made a commit. I updated the TODO
list and added a done section to keep track of what I have already
done. I used shell=False in pull_runner.py when using subprocess for
security reasons. I changed the config file extension to .ini to
conform with standards and used DB_URI instead of URL to conform with
flask standards. I switched to using ConfigParser to parse the config
file. I created some sample metric pull scripts. They are: sources,
releases, and releases_count. The main pull script runner inputs the
data into the database. I created a graph generator script for sources
that is run by the main graph_runner script, which pulls data from the
database. Right now the graph generator just generates a pie chart
showing the percentage using vcs vs the percentage not using vcs. Next
week I will create more graphs. I will also create a crontab to run
the pull_runner and graph_runner since I did not get to create it this
week.

During the weekly conference call between me and Stuart (one of the
mentors), we talked about plotting of time series data automatically
(without
requiring a graph generation script). We also talked about providing a
standard Python API for graphing so that people don't need to reinvent
the wheel when creating the graph generation scripts. Stuart suggested
adding a metric from ircbot for the number of packages vs time just
because it is a different type of data source. Stuart mentioned a
python crontab parser he remembers seeing, so he will get back to me
with more information. I may be able to use it to parse the manifest
file to get the frequency with which the pull scripts should be run. I
will also add a crontab file for running the pull_runner and
graph_runner.

Stuart brought up that it may be an issue for AGPL 3 compliance to
include JQuery in the repo. Stuart suggested not including JQuery in
the repo and including links in the README to download JQuery.

It's not much yet (still mostly placeholders), but I hosted debmetrics
on 107.170.79.147:5000. Stuart said he would point
debmetrics.debian.org at it.

If you have any questions or there is anything you feel needs
expanding upon, feel free to reply.

Joseph