[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2015 Week 6: Apport for Debian

Yuru Shao shaoyuru at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:42:09 UTC 2015

Hi all,

In the past week I was working on (1) the proxy daemon for fetching bug
report from Debian BTS and (2) the integration of reportbug.

1. The proxy daemon had been implemented before, but I just let it run when
the OS starts. I discussed this implementation with my mentor last week and
we realized that users may not want to have too many daemons that are
always running. We decided to start the proxy when necessary, i.e., when
Apport needs to talk to Debian BTS we start the proxy and terminate it
afterwards.

2. In addition to fetching and displaying existing bug reports, we would
like to give users one more option to report their bugs -- by integrating
reportbug into Apport. I started using python-reportbug library [1] to
achieve this. I found python-reportbug not compatible with Apport either so
we have to leverage the proxy to communicate with Debian BTS.

I also blogged about some new features of Debian Apport [2].

[1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/python-reportbug
[2] http://blog.yurushao.info/2015/07/Debian-Apport-GSoC/

--
Thanks,