[Soc-coordination] GSoC 2015 Week 2: Apport for Debian

Yuru Shao shaoyuru at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 03:13:50 UTC 2015

Hi all,

This past week I completed two major tasks:

(1) Saving diskspace and bandwith by leveraging system cache. To resolve
debugging symbols Apport needs to download dependencies (deb packages).
Downloaded dependencies will be saved in the ~/.cache/ dir. However, some
of them has been downloaded before and saved in system  cache dir, i.e.,
/var/cache/apt/archives. To save disk space and bandwith, we don't need to
download those existing ones again. We just need to create soft links that
pointing to packages in the system cache dir.

(2) apport-gtk cannot start Terminator to execute commands. I found the
problem quite similar to [1]. apport-gtk aims to support a few different
terminals, like gnome-terminal, terminal, xterm, etc. I added additional
logic to check which terminal program is being used and treat them
differently.

My code has been committed to [2] under the gsoc branch.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/terminator/+bug/1420829.
[2] https://github.com/windflyer/apport