[Soc-coordination] GSOC 2015 Week 4: Coinstallable PHP Versions

Murukesh Mohanan murukesh.mohanan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 05:10:47 UTC 2015

Over the past week, I worked on getting the packages to build into
X.Y-named ones, separating out installed files into versioned directories.
First, I focused on getting the 5.6 branch to build thus. Some choices had
to be made, which I had discussed with Ondrej a bit early on:

1. Do `/etc/php5`, `/var/lib/php5`, `/usr/include/php5`, etc. become
   `phpX.Y`, or `php/X.Y`?
2. Do the helper commands like `php5enmod` become `phpX.Yenmod` or will
   there be a common command in each case?

For (1), I have decided to go with a mixed approach.

- `/etc/php5` and `/usr/lib/php5` will follow `php/X.Y`
- `/usr/include/php5` and `/var/lib/php5` will follow `phpX.Y`.

As I work with bringing other packages in line with the coinstallable
approach, I expect that one method will prove to be better, at which point
I will switch the others to that method too. For the moment, (2) is
entirely on the `X.Y` side.

Porting the changes I made in the 5.6 branch to the 5.5 branch, I realised
I'd made several mistakes (variables whose name I'd forgotten to change,
instances where I hadn't replaced a hard-coded version with a variable,
etc.). I remembered some early work I'd done on other devices, which I then
committed. The consequent merging introduced a few bugs, and added a few
improvements I'd forgotten about. The weekend was spent converging 5.{5,6}
branches and correcting the mistakes found.

--

Murukesh Mohanan,
IIT Bombay,