[Soc-coordination] Debian packaging

Klemen Ferjančič imbacen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 23:24:32 UTC 2015

Hi

I'm considering participating in GSOC and while I might apply to one of
the proposed projects I first have my own itch to scratch. At this point
I'd just like to gather some information.

A few months ago I decided that I'm sick of compiling an obscure library
from source all the time and make a package instead, maybe even get it
into upstream. I was greeted with a 10 chapter Maintainers Guide on
packaging which is a great resource but it kinda scared me a bit.

There are a lot of packaging tools that help you on the way, either
creating the files, testing etc, but is there a tool that would automate
the whole process, like a cli or gui wizard? I was Googling around but
couldn't really find anything.

Such a wizard could guide you through the packaging process, ask you the
necessary questions, offer you the optional steps, build the package,
run the tests etc. It would be like a frontend for all the helper tools
which already exist.

Is this something people might find usefull or am I off base? Does it
already exist?