[Teammetrics-discuss] Comparison between the old code and the new code.

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 09:36:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

As we discussed, I compared the results of the new code with the old
code and I am happy to report that our new code is working
wonderfully.

I didn't compare all lists, but here the ones I did (only lists.d.o):

debian-boot
debian-blends
debian-legal
debian-laptop
debian-multimedia
debian-python

The findings are:

(Old ratings refers to the code you wrote earlier. New ratings refers
to the GSoC code we wrote)

+  debian-multimedia
http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_multimedia.png

I manually checked the mailing list archives and found that the new
rating is the correct one. The old rating does not make any mention of
'Adrian Knoth', his name seems to be have completely skipped in the
graphs.

Otherwise, it looks good and comparison is exact.

+  debian-python
http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_python.png

The name 'Scott Kitterman' seems to be missing from the old ratings
and again I find that his name is there in the archives. So our new
rating is good.

+  debian-laptop
http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_laptop.png

The name 'Bob Proulx' is missing from the old ratings but it is there
in the archives and our new ratings. Also in 2003, the names 'Matej
Cepl', 'Micha Feigin', 'Mattia Dongili', have significant counts,
while they have no mention in the graphs.

+  debian-legal
http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_legal.png

The name 'Steve Langasek' is missing from the old ratings, while his
name is there in the archives and the new ratings.

Otherwise, the rest looks good.

+  debian-blends
http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_blends.png

This looks good :)

+  debian-boot
http://blends.debian.net/liststats/authorstat_boot.png

'Frank Carmickle' who has 857 posts in 2004 is missing in the old code.

Overall, the new ratings have included many authors that were missing
in the old ratings, so this is good news for us. Also, NNTPStat worked
very well this time, fetching 156899 records without breaking down
even once :) The mbox archives have been saved locally with no error
can be parsed using the localmboxparser when required. IMHO, I see no
problem with NNTPStat now and I think it works the way we wanted it
to.

I am not using blends.d.n for the testing as I am afraid of breaking
something :) So I have all the records in my database and if you want
some specific records, please let me know.

--
Sukhbir