[Teammetrics-discuss] NNTPStat completed successfully.

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 06:31:49 UTC 2011

> As I said: Your number estimation is most probably wrong and we do not
> even have a reasonable way to estimate how wrong it is at all.

Yes, you are right. It's entirely possible the scenario you are
proposing and there is no way to check that.

> I agree that Gmane gives probably few chances to detect this.

None actually! Because we have to rely on the 'Date' header, that is
the only solution.

> Anything that makes all versions of "me" to "Andreas Tille".  Perhaps
> we need some "author like '%...'" in addition.

We already have this (but it's case sensitive `like` and not `ilike`):
see lines 132 and 135, updatenames.py. Maybe I should change it to
something like '%string%' instead of 'string'.

> Could you estimate the time effort to work on this (to enable us
> comparing what comes first - real mboxes or web archives?)

I can finish this in a week I guess. But unfortunately I cannot work
in my full capacity (or at all perhaps) before 17th November as I will
be busy with college work, admission process and other issues!

So to give you a final date, it will be completed by 23rd November (maximum).

>> (Though we did seem to be missing some authors from the web
>> archives method IIRC)
>
> Do you think so?  I do not remember.

Yes, debian-boot had an author Frank missing and another case that was
not clear. But we can fix these issues in the new code, no problem.

> No problem.  Wait a moment - I get a drink at next DebConf when we
> meet again! :-)  That's the usual punishment for mistakes like this!

Sure, sure! Let's just hope the Nicaraguans have something like the
Rakia we had in Bosnia :)

So please let me know if you want me to start working on this so that
I can do so when I have time and start with it side-by-side other
work. Don't bother about how much work it takes, it should be to your
liking.

--
Sukhbir