[Teammetrics-discuss] NNTPStat completed successfully.

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sun Nov 6 18:51:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:01:49PM +0530, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> > I agree that Gmane gives probably few chances to detect this.
>
> None actually! Because we have to rely on the 'Date' header, that is
> the only solution.

Never say never (or none).  If we would stretch the effort we could
check whether the date makes some sense by comparing the mail before and
after each mail - assuming that gmane records mails in a timely
sequence.  But that's overall hackish and I would not try to implement
it if we have other means.

> > Anything that makes all versions of "me" to "Andreas Tille".  Perhaps
> > we need some "author like '%...'" in addition.
>
> We already have this (but it's case sensitive `like` and not `ilike`):
> see lines 132 and 135, updatenames.py. Maybe I should change it to
> something like '%string%' instead of 'string'.

I wonder whether it makes sense to always use (i)like.  If there is no
'%' sign in the string it is equivalent to '=' anyway and it might
reduce the complexity of your query (which sounds more reasonable than
for gaining at speed in database processing which is close to irrelevant
here.

> > Could you estimate the time effort to work on this (to enable us
> > comparing what comes first - real mboxes or web archives?)
>
> I can finish this in a week I guess. But unfortunately I cannot work
> in my full capacity (or at all perhaps) before 17th November as I will
> be busy with college work, admission process and other issues!

No problem.  Lets try to push things with the real mboxes for now and if
we did not succeeded until you have more time than you can start coding.

> > No problem.  Wait a moment - I get a drink at next DebConf when we
> > meet again! :-)  That's the usual punishment for mistakes like this!
>
> Sure, sure! Let's just hope the Nicaraguans have something like the
> Rakia we had in Bosnia :)

I bet they will have something. :-)

Kind regards

         Andreas.