[Teammetrics-discuss] Google Summer of Code - Team Activity Metrics

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 13:07:42 UTC 2012

Hi Samuel,

[I am CCin you in case you are not subscribed to the mailing list yet]

Thank you for your interest in the 'Team Metrics' project.

I am assuming you have already read the description [0] that explains
what 'Team Metrics' is about. We aim to measure the performance of
teams in the Debian community through different metrics, such as,
mailing list activity (who talks the most in a mailing list), commit
activity (who is making the most number of commits) and package upload
records from the Ultimate Debian Database.

We have already implemented the tools that gathers the data and the
database has also been populated. So you need not worry about how to
gather the data above -- your job will only be to design an interface
to access that data. To give you an idea of what type of data we are
talking about, have a look at [1] and [2]; these are the team
statistics for the 'Team Metrics' team in Debian.

To give you an example, a sample form of the project can be something
like this: you need to know who are the top two contributors to the
'teammetrics' mailing list in the 'Team Metrics' team.

So because the data is ready, you run a query:

SELECT name, count(*) FROM listarchives WHERE
project='teammetrics-discuss' GROUP BY name ORDER BY count DESC LIMIT
2;

       name        | count

and then nicely render this output to the user and generate a graph. I
hope you get an idea of what I was trying to show you, that the data
is there, you just need to fetch it and present it.

As far as the people behind the project, Andreas Tille started this
project, he was my mentor last year and I worked with him. This year,
we both are co-mentoring and we want to get this web interface done.

If you have any more questions, I am on IRC, 'SukhE' on #debian-soc
(irc.debian.org). We prefer this mailing list for discussions, so feel
free to continue here and ask more about the project.

[0] - http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects#Improving_Debian_Team_Activity_Metrics
[1] - http://i.imgur.com/804Du.png
[2] - http://i.imgur.com/QWrNx.png

--